“Sepak” is the Malay word for kick and “takraw” is the Thai word for a woven ball, therefore sepak takraw to kick ball. The name was given for the sport after an agreement between Malaysia and Thailand, the two major forces of the sport. Variations of this were played in other Southeast Asian countries too; in Thailand it was called "Takraw", in the Philippines, "Sepa Sepa", in Myanmar, "Ching Loong", in Indonesia, "Rago" and in Laos, "Kator".
Earliest historical evidence shows that the game was played in the 15th century’s Malacca Sultanate. The Malay Annals described in the incident of Raja Muhammad, son of Sultan Mansur Shah who was accidentally hit with a rattan ball by Tun Besar, son of Tun Perak, in a sepak raga game.
In Bangkok, murals at Wat Phra Kaeo, which was built in 1785, depict the Hindu god Hanuman playing sepak takraw in a ring with a troop of monkeys.
The modern version of sepak takraw is competitive and took shape in Thailand almost 200 years ago.
In 1829, the Siam Sports Association created the first rules for the game. Four years later, the association introduced the volleyball-style net and held the first public contest.
By the 1940s, the net version of the game had spread throughout Southeast Asia, and formal rules were introduced. This sport became officially known as ‘sepak takraw’.
International tournaments are now governed by ISTAF, the International Sepak Takraw Federation. The King’s Cup World Championships is held every year in Thailand and it is one of the most prestigious tournaments in the Sepak Takraw circuit.
Sepak takraw has also become a regular event in the Asian Games and the Southeast Asian Games.
CHARACTERISTICS OF "SEPAK RAGA"
- The Takraw ball is made of rattan stems or very hard plastic.
- A ball weighs approximately 250 grams.
|Original Rattan Ball|
|Modern Synthetic Ball|
HOW TO PLAY
- In takraw game, some players stand up and form a circle.
- The game begins with one player tossing the ball to his hand. A voice will fondle the ball with his foot once or several times, before kicking it towards other players.
- Players who form the circle or circles must take turns fondle the ball and control it from falling to the ground. If the ball is dropped, the game in the round ended.
- This game requires agility and physical efficiency and sharpness of eye to measure movement. The goal of each player is to boost the skills to take delivery of sport and fondle ball comfortably as long as possible.
- Game duration is not specified except in the competition which is usually organized as a team event. Successful teams make the most nicknames in a given period is calculated to win.
- At this time there is no longer played sepak raga, it has changed the name to sepak takraw. Sepak takraw snitch two teams separated by a net, as in badminton.
- Sepak takraw team consists of three players.Skipper to kick start and control the back court. Surround left and right to control the front of the wedge ring and take on the main task of turning off the ball in a tennis opponent.